Thursday, November 8, 2007

Controversy.


I know. I have been a terrible blogger as of late.

Life seems to have been riddled with controversy the past couple of weeks...isn't it always?

First, Jenny McCarthy. Yes. We all know that I am not exactly a pop-culture queen, so interesting that I should give a second thought about this playboy diva. But J's new book about her son's battle with autism came out just in time for me to dive into that very world with my new job. Talk about controversy, I've learned more about the debate regarding the cause of this mysterious disorder over the past few months than I can begin to comprehend. And good old Jenny has been gaining all kinds of publicity for the cause through her book, celebrity fame and claim that her son has been cured through diet interventions.

I plead the fifth on all of this. But, interestingly enough, Jenny will be coming to Madison in just over a week to speak at the annual big deal Women's Expo here in town. And in an unexpected turn of events, my workplace was asked to sponsor her for this convention. So suddenly next week finds me meeting Ms. J. It is like a controversial brush with fame for this prairie girl from Nebraska. Do you think she might bring Jim Carrey with her? Only time will tell. I'll keep you in the loop.

Meanwhile, on the other side of town, Paul has been busy the past few weeks with the relocation of our church (aka his job). Check out the above pic of him doing his thing. So, everybody, sit down, because we now are a part of what is being referred to as "Madison's mega church." Siblings, please don't disown me. I'm still Lutheran on the inside.

The church's move has been a controversial topic for us all along. Paul came into the job mid-plan (the church voted to move in 2000) and so we've known all along that this would be happening soon...but to see the building come up...and to be in there last Sunday. Well, that is something all on its own. We can't help but wonder if it is the "right" decision?

I feel as though I've personally sat on all sides of the discussion, so here are some more, well, interesting comments about the move:

http://www.madison.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=34446

The comments from the article run the gammit, from claiming that Jesus would have wanted people studying in living rooms rather than large churches to justifications for the new building stemming from the complete overgrowth of the old building. And for the most part, I agree a little bit with what everyone has to say.

I went into church last Sunday and I felt like I had a little version of my dad on my shoulder. Get out! The voice was screaming at times. What the h#@& are you doing in this giant church with screens on the walls? This is amazing, the voice was saying at other moments, you are a part of this incredibly alive place. Personally knowing the people and leadership invested in the building, I know that the intentions behind the move are pure and responsible. But it really is hard to know what is right. Check out Pastor Chris' sermon for more - he did a fabulous job of laying out the controversy surrounding the move, and in the end, made me proud to call Blackhawk my home:

http://www.blackhawkchurch.org/basics/sermons.php

So, yeah. That kind of sums it up. Jenny McCarthy and an attempt to decipher God's view of mega churches. Shoot.

We're dancing in the new church this Sunday. It will get my final verdict once that is over. Stay tuned.

1 comment:

Reba said...

did you get to meet jenny mccarthy?! hehehe so silly. i think she broke up with jim carrey by the way....

miss you and love you!