Tuesday, September 14, 2010

Mega update...


Today, as I was driving, I noticed the beginnings of leaves turning to golden, red and orange hues. Somehow, undeniably, fall is upon us here in the midwest and before we know it we'll be hibernating and hiding out from the frigid cold, longing for spring (nooooo). But, before that, we have the glorious days of fall upon us to enjoy, with apple picking and pumpkin-flavored food and sunshine that takes the edge off of the cool breeze to keep us company. Oh, delicious.

So for tonight, just an update of sorts. The latest from the homestead...

Adah turned four months yesterday, and she is absolutely the most amazing and delightful human being I could possibly imagine. It is truly incredible to watch her discover her world - she smiles this big, genuine smile and just melts my heart, she rolls over now (and looks terrified each and every time, hence we cheer excitedly to show her what a cool, competent little person she is), and today for the first time she initiated a game that Paul and I like to play with her. We think she is the most brilliant, adorable and wonderful person in the world, and couldn't be more blessed to have her with us. Next week she has her four month appointment, and it seems hardly possible that she's already 1/3 of the way through her first year. I've started making baby food with in season fruits and veggies for her to have a few months down the road, and even that reminds me of just how fast she is growing up.

At the beginning of the month I started back to work, which has been both a difficult and wonderful transition. A few hours feels like years to be away from the girl, but how delightful that she is with her daddy for most of these hours, and how it warms my heart to come home and see the two of them together. And those hours away - for me - are such a solid reminder of who I am, of what I do, beyond this whole motherhood thing I'm muddling through at the moment. Work feels comfortable, and assuring, and enjoyable - something known and slightly predictable, which I can't really say about motherhood yet. And I remind myself about how much I want Adah to know who her parents are as individuals, how important it is for her to see what we are passionate about in life. So we are finding our way through this newest transition.

Paul has been up to his ears in work and life, as has been the story of the past several months. He's entering a new season and endeavor at work...more on that in a post I've been writing in my head and hope to get down this week at some point. And when he's not watching the girl during his time at home, he's knocking out another home improvement project (while I marvel at how he learned to do these things...?). Each day this chaotic renovation project feels more and more like our home, especially now that we have closets - the latest improvement! Oh, how wonderful it feels to have such organization...because I really do not exaggerate about how I felt us slipping into an episode of a hoarding television show without it. We've got miles to go on this joint, but it's nice to look back at this point and see how far we've come...

And, oh, I am having a slight love affair with our neighborhood. We had such mixed feelings about leaving our old side of town and moving to this new side of town (big rivalries in Madison...) and definitely felt like sell-outs in doing so. But, at this point, I really could care less about being a sell-out. The bike path is deliciously nearby with an oh so easy ride to campus for teaching and I can run to Trader Joe's in a matter of minutes and we have these amazing neighbors and even a neighborhood association with a newsletter and Halloween parties and oh I could go on and on and on...the difference is astounding. And so amidst our sawdust and untrimmed windows and bathroom without a door, we are so so grateful. For here and now.

And with that said...a few pictures to illustrate the above. And more "thoughtful" blogging to follow soon.
Adah showing off the fact that I'm already breaking all the rules I had for dressing her...sporting "skinny jeans" from one grandmother and a "princess" shirt from the other. (Note, this is not an invitation for more princess gear - we would like to keep such notions to an absolute minimum!)
Squash and sweet potatoes, ready to freeze and eventually be consumed by the little lady...yum.
Our bedroom closet, finished and ready to be filled! Yes, there are windows in the closet...long story.
The little family, complete with drool stains on my shirt. The norm these days.
Our little treasure.

No comments: