Sunday, March 25, 2007

Adam done good.

Mmmm, it has been a lovely spring break week. And to top it off, I believe that spring really, truly officially arrived this past weekend. It has been goooorgeous out. Yesterday I was even able to take a spin on my new trek hybrid baby...thanks to Craig's List and a UW student anxious to make some quick cash for spring break I now have my commuter bike. I can't wait - farmer's markets, outdoor music, a buzzing State Street - bring it on!

Now if only it could be May 12th and I'd be finished with classes...that would be too good to be true.

Anyhow, last night we went to a movie...Reign Over Me. Paul needed to see it for a talk he is giving next week at church, and I don't know that we would have picked it otherwise...but I was so impressed! First of all, Adam Sandler did a stand up job in his serious character role. Way impressed. His work was definitely one bit that pulled the movie off...and carried it when the "Hollywood" aspects got to be a little too much.

Without giving away the plot, the basic premise is that Sandler's character lost his family in 9/11 and thus he has some major PTSD. The movie follows his reunion with his old college roommate and the impact this connection has on them both. This movie it so an advocate for the therapeutic process! Yeehaw! Seriously, watch it and you'll get such a grasp for some of the main issues around PTSD as well as for the importance of the dance therapist's mantra...relationship is key, meet the person where they are at.

This whole concept of meeting people where they are at...what I've basically practiced to live the last couple of years...has had a profound effect on the way I think, and this film does a bang-up job of describing why the concept is so important. Whether it be about relationships, issues, past trauma or spirituality, you can't expect for anyone to let you in unless you go to where they are first. As the movie depicts, the most frustrating part is that the person "in need" may never be ready to be or go where you want them to be. But in the end, the relationship is what will make more of an impact than any attempts to fix the problem(s).

See the movie. It was a bit slow, the ending a bit cheesy. But all in all quite satisfying.

No comments: